if you love breakfast as much as i do, you’re constantly looking for new recipes to add to your morning menu. my apple cinnamon breakfast farro is one my favorite ways to start the day, especially in the fall. what’s more fall, other than pumpkin ? anything cooked with apples + cinnamon!
if you are not familiar with farro, it’s an ancient whole grain with a nutty taste + chewy texture, similar to rice, but so much healthier. Farro is protein + fiber-packed, rich in nutrients, minerals + antioxidants. I cook it like pasta – throw a serving into a pot of lightly salted boiling water, cook for 10 minutes then strain. It’s a great side dish on its own, as a veggie or dried fruit + nut pilaf, mixed with greek salad, really its just like rice or quinoa – the possibilities are endless.
these breakfast bowls are quick + easy to make using leftover farro. it’s also a great alternative to traditional oats. top it with all your favorites for the perfect meal! Refrigerate cooked farro for up to 5 days.
makes 1 serving
what you need
- 1/2 cup cooked organic farro
- 1/2 an apple, grated
- 3/4 cup – 1 cup plant milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1-2 tsp maple syrup
- topping – pumpkin seeds, almonds, chopped dates + nut butter
what you do
- add farro, grated apple, plant milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon + nutmeg to a small pot.
- bring to boil then low simmer for 5-6 minutes until you have the consistency you like.
- pour into your favorite bowl, top with maple syrup, pumpkin seeds, almonds, chopped dates + nut butter.