Meet my GO TO comfort meal anytime of the week. Slightly spicy, creamy + perfectly flavoured, this one pot lentil coconut curry is sure to become a staple in your menu rotation as well!
MAKES : 3 – 4 servings
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 cup dry black eyed peas, soaked for 5 – 6 hours (or overnight is best), washed 2x + rinsed
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 3 – 4 garlic cloves
- 1 – 2 one inch knobs of ginger (I like 2!)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 8 – 10 curry leaves
- 1 – 2 dried or fresh red chilis
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 – 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/8 – 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can coconut milk (regular or light) + 1 can water
WHAT YOU DO
- Soak black eyed peas ahead of time. If using an Instant Pot (IP), just wash + rinse a few times.
- Roughly chop tomatoes, onions, ginger + garlic. Blend in a food processor or high speed blender until pureed.
- Add coconut oil to a large pot on heat on low (or IP). Add in cinnamon, curry leaves, red chili + cumin seeds. Cook on low for 2 – 3 minutes – do not burn this mixture!
- Add in the tomato puree mixture, salt, turmeric, chili powder, ground cumin, garam masala + tomato paste. Stir well + cook for 4 – 5 min to let flavors build and merry.
- Add in black eyed peas + coconut milk + water. Bring to boil, then simmer 40 – 45 minutes until lentils are soft. If using the IP, follow the same method and pressure cook on normal for 23 minutes, letting it rest for 5 – 8 minutes before venting.
- Serve over rice (my favorite is white basmati!), with a dollop of your favourite coconut or other plant based yogurt, or enjoy on it’s own! Garnish with a squeeze of fresh lemon, cilantro + thinly sliced red onion or shallots.