soup season is here and i’m totally here for it! my creamy lemon + chickpea orzo soup is a fall staple. it’s so delicious, quick + easy to make and comes together in less than 30 minutes. don’t skip the extra lemon + tahini at the end. trust me on this one – it really levels up this already amazing soup! make it gluten free by using your choice of grain free or lentil orzo.
makes 4 – 6 servings
what you need
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 3-4 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large or 2 small garlic gloves, minced
- 3-4 springs fresh thyme
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas, or 1 can drained + rinsed
- 1-2 tsp sea salt ( to taste)
- 1/2 – 1 tsp pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup orzo
- juice of 1 large lemon
- 6- 7 cups water (or vegetable stock or mix)
- 1 tbsp tahini per serving (optional)
- fresh parsley
what you do
- in a large pot, heat olive oil over low heat. add in onion, carrots, celery, garlic, thyme, sea salt + pepper. saute 5-7 minutes until onion is transparent.
- add chickpeas and water to the pot and bring soup to a boil.
- add the orzo and reduce heat to low. simmer low 8-10 minutes or until orzo is tender.
- NOTE – if your soup is too thick, add 1 more cup water and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- remove from heat, add in fresh lemon juice, re-season with sea salt + pepper if needed.
- garnish with a heaping tablespoon of tahini + fresh parsley.