this is for all my matcha lovers. it’s the perfect lazy sunday cake. i made it a few weeks ago and i could not wait to make it again – its that’s good!
please note : this recipe is dairy free, but does contain eggs.
you could use gluten free flour, but i have not tried the recipe with this substitute. if you do, let me know how it is!
makes 1 loaf
what you need
- 1 1/2 sticks vegan butter
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut milk, gently heated
- 3 tbsp shredded coconut
- 3 tbsp matcha powder
- 1 2/3 cup cake flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 2 tbsp coconut milk
- shredded coconut flakes, toasted
what you do
- bring vegan butter, eggs and coconut milk to room temperature.
- preheat oven to 350 degrees
- prepare loaf pan by using the butter wrapping to grease inside of pan and line with parchment paper.
- in a stand mixer or with an electric mixer, whip butter until smooth, fluffy and pale in color, about 2 minutes.
- add sugar to butter and whip for another 1-2 minutes.
- add in eggs one at a time until you have a smooth mixture.
- sift in cake flour, baking powder and salt, mix until a smooth cake batter forms.
- fold in shredded coconut.
- in a separate bowl, mix matcha with heated coconut milk. whisk until all the matcha is combined.
- add 3 – 4 heaping tablespoons of cake batter to matcha and mix until combined.
- add matcha mixture in spoonfuls or dollops to the cake batter, gently folding together. make sure to not over mix!
- pour batter into prepared loaf pan. bake for 43 – 45 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- prepare glaze by mixing icing sugar + coconut milk until smooth.
- remove cake from oven and let sit for few minutes. while it’s still warm, poke holes all over with a toothpick or fork then pour over glaze + garnish with toasted coconut flakes.
- rest cake for at least 30 minutes before slicing.
- store in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the fridge, or freeze for up to 2 months.
+ show Comments
- Hide Comments
+ add a comment