this is my go-to soup for all seasons, but especially in the fall. it’s so damn good – earthy, hearty + creamy with a little kiss of spice. it comes together in 30 minutes and is even more delicious the next day!
makes 4 servings
what you need
- 3 leeks, finely sliced
- 3 cups chopped mushrooms, i used a mix of shiitake, cremini + white
- 2-3 cloves roughly chopped garlic
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup french green lentils, wash + rinse twice
- 1 cup coconut cream or milk
- 1 – 2 cups water
- sea salt + pepper to taste
- red chili flakes to taste
- 2-3 sprigs of fresh thyme
what you do
- finely slice the leeks, using only the white + light green parts, then add to a large bowl of water.
- separate the leek rings with your fingers to get out any dirt, rinse + repeat.
- roughly chop mushrooms + garlic. add to a large pot.
- add in the leeks, olive oil, sea salt, pepper + chili flakes.
- saute for 5-7 minutes until everything starts to soften.
- add in the lentils, coconut cream, water + thyme bring to a soft boil, them simmer for 20 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- turn off the heat and remove the thyme.
- using an immersion blender, blend until you have your desired consistency. i like this soup a bit chunky.
- pour into your favorite soup bowl and garnish with croutons, truffle or olive oil, sea salt, pepper + more chili flakes.