my favorite noods. ever. i eat them once a week – they are that good!
the secret is cooking the sauce down until it gets sticky and the eggplant + tofu get a little crispy. serve over your favorite noodles or rice. i love soba buckwheat or rice stick noodles. whatever you have in the pantry will work!
makes 2 servings
what you need
- 1 long japanese eggplant, cut lengthwise
- 1 package firm tofu, pressed
- 1 onion, cubed
- 1 inch knob ginger, cut into thin sticks
- 2-3 gloves garlic, cut into thin slivers
- 2 tbsp coconut oil for cooking
- cilantro + green onions + fresh lime + sesame seeds for garnish
- noodles or rice
FOR THE SAUCE
- 1/3 cup coconut soy sauce substitute – i like this one
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- juice of one lime
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar or maple syrup
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
what you do
- sprinkle eggplant with salt. let sit 20 minutes then pat down excess moisture.
- cut tofu block into half + press for 20 minutes.
- cube eggplant + tofu then add to mixing bowl with onions, garlic + ginger.
- make sauce, pour over eggplant + tofu. let it marinate for 20 minutes.
- add coconut oil to large saucepan, heat to medium / high.
- add eggplant + tofu mixture to pan, evenly spread into one layer.
- let it cook for 5-6 minutes without stirring, then gently stir to turn eggplant + tofu over.
- turn heat to medium / low. the sauce will start to get sticky. once eggplant + tofu with start getting a bit crispy + brown its ready.
- plate over your favorite noodles or rice + garnish with toppings.