these are sooo damn good! a bit crusty on top, fudgy + soft on the inside and ohhh sooo chocolatey!
makes 12-15 squares
what you need
- 8 tablespoons aquafaba (liquid from a can of chickpeas, use unsalted chickpeas)
- 1 ½ cups organic cane sugar
- 1 cup dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- ½ cup vegan butter, cubed
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons dutch process cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1.5-2 teaspoon espresso powder
- optional 1/4 cup dark or bittersweet chocolate chips, or finely chopped dark chocolate
what you do
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8×8-inch baking pan with parchment paper with some overhang on the sides (this will make it easy to lift the brownies out of the pan).
- Add the aquafaba and sugar to a large mixing bowl. Use an electric handheld mixer or a stand mixer on high speed and beat the mixture for 2 ½ to 3 minutes until thickened + glossy.
- Add in the vanilla, salt + espresso powder and fold in until well combined.
- Add the chopped dark chocolate and cubed vegan butter to the bowl and melt over double boiler or in microwave. add to the batter mixture.
- sift in flour + cocoa powder and fold until all traces of flour are gone. do not over mix!
- pour batter into lined baking pan. smooth surface with a spatula.
- bake for 34-36 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. cool for 15 minutes in the pan then transfer with parchment paper to a cooling rack for another 20-30 minutes before slicing.